Organizers: Earth Innovation Institute (EII), Pronatura-Sur (PNS), the Governors’ Climate & Forests (GCF) task force, Yayasan Penelitian Inovasi Bumi (Inobu)
Title: The Balikpapan Challenge: A Global Framework for Low-Emission Development in Tropical Forest Regions
Summary: Governors’ Climate & Forests Task Force jurisdictions & implementing partners join the Balikpapan Challenge, establishing a shared definition of success for tropical deforestation, conservation, improved livelihoods, renewable energy, scalable incentive systems & human rights protection by 2020.
Speakers & Panelists
Mr. Daniel Nepstad, Executive Director, EII– Overview/Context
Mr. Daddy Ruhiyat, Head of Provincial Climate Change Council, East Kalimantan Province, Indonesia – Opening Remarks
Ms. Colleen Scanlan-Lyons, Project Director, GCF Secretariat – Moderator & Closing Remarks
· Gov. Victor Manuel Noriega Reátegui, San Martin Region, Peru
· Gov. Sebastião Afonso Viana Macedo Neves, Acre State, Brazil
· Gov. José Pedro Gonçalves Taques, Mato Grosso State, Brazil
· Dep. Sec. Ricardo Hernández, Deputy Secretary of Forestry Development, Secretary of the Environment and Natural History, Chiapas State, México
· Ms. Francisca Arara, Coordinator, Organization of Indigenous Teachers of Acre, Acre State, Brazil
· Mr. Bjarne Rask Thomsen, Chief Executive Officer, Denofa
· Mr. Tan Lin, Executive President, Hopefull Investment and Holding Group
Small reception to follow event
* Translation between Portuguese, Spanish, Indonesian and English will be provided.